top of page

Become a Pilot

Maverick Aviation offers flight training programs for the following certificates and ratings:

Ultralight Pilot Permit
What is Ultralight Pilot Permit

The ULPP permit was designed to bridge the gap between the ULPP  and the PPL.

It is a great way to get started flying, it has lower training times than the Private Pilot license therefor it is more affordable and can be completed in a shorter amount of time. However, lower training times comes with reduced privileges. With the ULPP permit, you can fly any single-engine aircraft that is designed to have a maximum of 2 seats.  You can fly in Canada during daylight hours only and must fly in good weather conditions – what is termed VFR weather.

Why choose the Recreational Pilot Permit?

The reasons to choose the ultra-light pilot permit over the Private pilot license vary to each individual.

You may be under 17 years of age and wish to start flying. To hold a private pilot license you must be 17 years old. The restriction of 1 passenger may not be an issue for your flying. The type of flying that you envision yourself doing may be the right fit for the training that the ULPP offers. You may never want to fly to other airports or longer distances, fly at night, or larger more complex aircraft.

If you decide at any point during your training that you would prefer a Private Pilot license, you can easily do so and all of the training you have completed so far will be credited towards the PPL.

All above are very valid reasons to choose a ULPP.

Please let us help you decide which program best suits your needs and wishes.

Are there any age restrictions?

In order to fly the aircraft by yourself, also referred to as “Solo”, you must be at least 14 years old. To hold the permit (licensed) you must be at least 16 years old.

There is no maximum age, The Barrie Flying School has trained multiple students that were older than 60 years of age.

What is involved in getting my Recreational Pilot Permit?

In order to hold any permit or license in flying there is a written examination and a practical test in the aircraft that you must successfully complete.

The Transport Canada minimum for a ULPP  is 10 hours of in-flight training. At The Barrie Flying School, a typical student will be licensed for a ULPP  pilot permit in the 20 to 25-hour mark. This is based on what it takes the average pilot flying on a regular basis to complete. Our experience has shown us that this is a realistic estimate for the completion of the ULPP.   

Do I need to take Groundschool?

There is no requirement to undertake Groundschool, however, you must complete a written examination. This examination is a 60 question multiple-choice exam; the main areas that are tested are Air Law, Meteorology, Navigation, and General knowledge.

The ground school covers all required areas including Air law and airspace, Engines and airframes, Meteorology and navigation, Flight Operations, Flight Instruments, and Human Factors.

The aim of the Ground school is to help you understand all the theoretical information that goes along with a pilot’s license.


What tests are involved in the Training?

There are several tests that are involved; prior to your first solo flight, you must pass a “presolo” knowledge test called the “PSTAR”. You must also hold a restricted radio operator certificate and a medical examination.

Prior to being able to hold the ULPP permit, you must pass a written examination and a practical test in the aircraft.

All of these examinations are done with us, we have Transport Canada-approved examiners in the house available for you.

What is the estimated cost of the Recreational Pilot permit?

Remember that every student learns at a different pace, so the cost provided will always be a ballpark figure. With TBRS many years of experience are confident with the price breakdown. Taxes are extra.

Estimated Program Costs


 SportStar $115.00/hr 

 Flight Instructor$75.00/hr 



25Hours Dual@ $190.00/hr$4750.00

1Ground School@ $390.00$390.00 Optional

1Ground School Supplies@ $298.95 Optional

Associated Fees

1Transport Canada Written Exam $175.00

Groundschool & Supplies are optional
HST, cost for written exam and flight test fees are not included

Commercial Pilot

We are working with Transport Canada to obtain the required certifications. Not available at this moment


- Be at least 17 years of age

- Be able to read, speak, and understand the English language

- Obtain at least a current third-class medical certificate

- Receive a minimum of 40 hours of flight time including training and          solo flight

- Pass a knowledge test as well as the practical test

bottom of page